Flood Insurance

When your home is flooded, it can lead to financial ruin if you don’t have the proper insurance. And note this: A basic homeowners policy won’t cover your flood damage! You need flood insurance — a special policy backed by the federal government, with cooperation from local communities and private insurance companies.About 200 insurance companies, possibly including the company that already handles your homeowners or auto insurance, write and service flood insurance policies for the government, which finances the program through premiums.

Although flood insurance is relatively inexpensive, most Americans neglect to purchase protection. Only about one-quarter of the homes in areas most vulnerable are insured against flood loss, according to the Federal Insurance Administration (FIA). In those areas, flooding is 26 times more likely to occur than a fire during the course of a typical 30-year mortgage.

More than 19,000 communities have agreed to stricter zoning and building measures to control floods, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Residents in these communities are entitled to purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program FEMA oversees.

For more information or to start your policy today, contact our sales representatives at 1-866-351-MSIG(6744)